IC² Research Fellow
Professor John Sibley Butler holds the Gale Chair in Entrepreneurship and Small Business in the Graduate School of Business (Department of Management). He is the Director of the Herb Kelleher Center for Entrepreneurship and from 2002 to 2013 was Director of the IC² Institute, where he continues to serve as Research Fellow. His research is in the areas of organizational behavior and new venture development.
Professor Butler has served as a consultant for many firms and the U.S. military. At this time he is Management Consultant for State Farm Insurance Companies, with corporate headquarters in Bloomington, Illinois. He is also one of the distinguished professors who compose the Advisory Team of Governor George Bush’s 2000 Presidential Campaign. His books and monographs include Framework for Research on Leadership, Cohesion, and Values; Entrepreneurship and Self-Help Among Black Americans: A Reconsideration of Race and Economics; All That We Can Be: Black Leadership and Racial Integration the Army Way (with Charles C. Moskos – winner of the Washington Monthly Best Book Award); and Immigrant and Minority Entrepreneurship: The Continuous Rebirth of American Communities (with George Kozmetsky, forthcoming).
Professor Butler received his undergraduate education from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge and the Ph.D. from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. He is a decorated Vietnam Veteran.John Sibley Butler _ IC² Research Fellow _ 512-471-4788 _ firstname.lastname@example.org
Knowledge Technologies Entrepreneur
Highly accomplished and award-winning IT Executive and Corporate Officer with extensive record of success in product management, professional services, global program management, and startup operations. Special expertise in Big data solutions, high performance computing, strategic planning, business-IT alignment, business transformation, change management, service-oriented architecture (SOA), and process innovation.
Proven ability to deliver major revenue growth by managing IT to create business value. Knowledgeable in eSCM, Prince 2, CMM, COBIT, and ITIL methodologies and requirements. Strong technical background. Excellent problem-solving, relationship management, and academic instruction skills.
Specialties: Big Data Solutions, High Performance Computing, IT Governance • Technology Innovation • Product Development • Global Program Management • IT Strategy
Project Life Cycle Management • Program Development • Customer Relationship Management • Research ITIL v3 • Best Practices • Process Optimization • Entrepreneurship • Emerging Trends • Team Leadership
Chief Technology Officer
August 2014 - Present
Responsible for design and development of DIWO- A Cognitive Analytics Solutions PlatformProfessor - Big Data and Analytics at Wayne State University
September 2013 - August 2014(1 year)
Vice President - Emerging Solutions at HTC Global Services
January 2013 - August 2013(8 months)
Vice President - Marketing and Business Development at TATA CRL (Acquired by TCS)
November 2010 - August 2012(1 year 10 months)
Responsible for developing and crystalizing Tata CRL's strategic positioning in the HIgh Performance Computing space; leading company's ecosystem development strategy, managing and establishing strategic partnerships, developing executive relationships in creating joint solutions and marketing programs to drive new sources of revenue; leading all aspects of marketing and solutions management, developing and executing long and short range marketing strategies to ensure growth in profit and market share; responsible for expansion of Tata CRL business worldwide by establishing public HPC clouds in various geographies.Founder / President /CEO
Page 2 October 2001 - October 2010 (9 years 1 month)
Established and directed software development and consulting company that effected business agility and transformation through use of technology. Managed all corporate operations, including strategy, feasibility assessment, project management, and budgets. Led development of product suite to support and enable business change management, IT governance, IT service management, SOA, and process innovation.
- Hired and supervised team of 20+ development engineers in India and established India-based facility.
- Recruited and led 30+ ITIL and COBIT-certified professionals and experts.
- Earned EXIN accreditation and provided Masters-level courses in ITIL through Inventes Institute.
- Led development of web 2.0-based IT governance platform and corporate technology architecture.
- Grew company to more than $2M in revenue and achieved positive cash flow.
- Built profitable relationships with Dell, SAS, and Satyam.
2000 - 2010 (11 years)
Established a technology entrepreneurs networking and mentoring group of over 200 membersChief Technology Officer
2000 - 2001 (2 years)
Following acquisition of Exterprise, assumed role of CTO at $20B global B2B products and services technology company. Oversaw 300 direct and indirect reports. Formulated technology roadmap and strategy. Led development of corporate architecture and web-based solutions. Managed partner relationships.
- Directed successful integration of Exterprise and Commerce One products and technologies, resulting in unified product suite for B2B eCommerce networks.
- Increased profitability by building technology partnerships with SAP and Microsoft.
- Earned Premier CTO of the Year 2000 Award from ComputerWorld Magazine.
1998 - 2000 (3 years)
Established technology company specializing in development and delivery of web-based, process-oriented B2B market network platform. Supervised 2 direct and 200 indirect reports in US and UK. Set corporate vision and strategy. Implemented product development, engineering, and professional services departments. Managed financials, projects, media relations, marketing, customer relations, and solution development.
- Grew revenues to $8M per year, and eventually sold company to Commerce One for $78M.
- Opened branch office in UK to keep pace with international business growth.
- Managed 3 rounds of funding, raising total of $30M.
- Led development and release of 3 versions of B2B technology in less than 2 years.
- Recognized with National Business Incubators Association Award for Founder of Best Software Company of the Year (2000).
June 1993 - September 1998 (5 years 4 months)
Defined and maintained standard solutions for Distributed Systems Services Management, for use by IBM Solution Delivery centers worldwide. Member of review team that approved RFPs and pricing models.
- Led rollout of standard customer service solution and support for Asia Pacific region.
- Key contact point between IBM Research and IBM Managed Operations, facilitating technology transfer in CRM and related areas.
- Single point of contact for overall architecture of shared solution for customer services and support.
July 1986 - June 1992 (6 years)
Chaired Graduate Program, supervised Ph.D.s and Masters research personnel, and instructed graduate-level courses in Distributed Computing, Operating Systems, Object-Oriented Modeling & Analysis, C, C++, UNIX, and Compiler Design.
- Improved graduate program and aligned with regional industry and subject needs.
- Implemented joint training and R&D programs with Ford, Unisys, GM, Chrysler, and US Army.
January 1985 - June 1986 (1 year 6 months)
Instructed courses in programming languages, compiler design, and operating systems.Faculty Member in Computer Science at Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
January 1980 - December 1985 (6 years)
- Established the B.Tech program in Computer Science and Engineering in cohort with other four IIT’s in India.
- Taught both undergraduate and graduate courses and supervised research of masters and doctoral students.